WHAT ARE DENTAL SEALANTS?
Applying dental sealants is a simple procedure in which a tooth-colored acrylic “coating” is painted onto the surface of the tooth. As the name suggests, this effectively seals the deep grooves, acting as a barrier and also protecting enamel from plaque and acids.
It is highly effective in preventing decay on the biting surfaces of chewing teeth like molars and premolars.
- The teeth in question first need to be thoroughly and professionally cleaned
- Each tooth then needs to be dried in preparation for the coating
- A specific solution is placed on the dried tooth to help the sealant adhere to it
- The teeth are rinsed and then thoroughly dried again
- The special sealant is then coated or painted on. It is easy to apply, taking only a few minutes to seal each tooth
HOW LONG DO SEALANTS LAST?
Sealants hold up well under the force of normal chewing and can last several years before a reapplication is needed. They will be assessed during your regular dental check-ups to determine if they are chipped as well as their level of wear and tear.
WHO SHOULD OPT FOR DENTAL SEALANTS?
Children and adults can benefit from sealants in the fight against tooth decay.
If this sounds like a treatment that you or your family may be interested in, kindly give us a call and we will schedule an appointment.